We are confident that we have the best essaywriters in the market. We have a team of experienced writers who are familiar with all types of essays, and we are always willing to help you with any questions or problems you might face. Plus, our writers are always available online so you can always get the help you need no matter where you are in the world.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Development: Growing up Globally
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
watch Babies and read “Independence and Interdependence in Children’s Developmental Experiences”. You must also find one scholarly article to inform your thinking. In this discussion, you will consider development across cultures by describing mainstream and (cross) cultural research and applying content to your own life. Be sure to use your own academic voice and apply in-text citations appropriately throughout your post.
Developmental psychologists study physical, cognitive, and social changes from womb to tomb. One point of contention amongst developmentalists concerns the relative influence of nature (i.e., biological inheritance) versus nurture (i.e., environmental affordance). In this discussion, you will consider these issues.
- Watch Babies, which follows four babies in different geographical locations (USA, Tokyo, Namibia, and Mongolia) for the first year of their lives, documenting the vastly different worlds these children occupy. Note the many developmental milestones that people around the world will meet regardless of cultural context. Consider the great impact different environments might have on various aspects of development: nutrition and physical development, childcare arrangements and social development, parenting styles and emotional development, educational practices and cognitive development, just to name a few.
- Select any one concept from developmental psychology. You may choose something you noted from the video or something else entirely, even from a different age range. Possibilities include (but are not limited to) the following: attachment (e.g., Harlow), temperament, parenting styles, moral development (e.g., Kohlberg), cognitive development (e.g., Piaget), psychosocial development (e.g., Erikson), adolescence (e.g., Marcia), gender development, education, child or elderly care, feeding practices, play, and so on. Pick something that interests you. (As an example to illustrate this discussion assignment, a student could choose the concept of “sleeping arrangements”; however, please note that you may not choose this as your topic.).
- Locate a scholarly article examining this concept/developmental pattern from a cultural or cross-cultural perspective.
- Read “Independence and Interdependence in Children’s Developmental Experiences”.
- Discuss development. In your discussion, include the following:
- Describe the developmental stage/concept/issue, providing a definition and explanation. What do we know about this developmental topic? (Following the selected example to illustrate this discussion assignment, consider American sleeping practices and ideals.).
- Based on the article(s) you located (and, if relevant, the video you watched), distinguish mainstream psychological knowledge about development with knowledge from a cultural perspective. How does culture provide additional insight on this topic? (Following the selected example to illustrate this discussion assignment, consider Indian sleeping practices and ideals.).
- Formulate plausible explanations for cultural differences. Why does this stage/concept/issue differ depending upon culture? (Following the selected example to illustrate this discussion assignment, consider cultural ideals of independence and interdependence; see also Raeff, 2010.).
- Explain the value in cultural awareness with regard to development.
- Remember to use your own academic voice and apply in-text citations appropriately throughout your post.
Post your initial response of 250 words or more