We are confident that we have the best essaywriters in the market. We have a team of experienced writers who are familiar with all types of essays, and we are always willing to help you with any questions or problems you might face. Plus, our writers are always available online so you can always get the help you need no matter where you are in the world.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Mental Measures for Juvenile Offenders
Competencies Addressed in This Assignment
This assignment addresses the following competencies:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Competency 1: Apply theoretical perspectives to motives for criminal behavior.
- Competency 2: Analyze the relationship between criminal psychology and criminal law.
- Competency 3: Analyze the relationship between society and criminal behavior.
- Competency 4: Apply scholarly research findings to topics in criminal psychology.
- Competency 5: Explain mental health testing and standards applicable in criminal courts.
- Competency 6: Communicate effectively in a professional manner.
DSM-5 is a standard diagnostic tool for psychiatric disorders. It contains three main sections: “DSM-5 Basics,” “Diagnostic Criteria and Codes,” and “Emerging Measures and Models.” The complete DSM archive (Iâ€“IV) plus eight reference books and four psychiatric journals are also available in the Capella library. DSM-5 is used by health professionals, social workers, and forensic and legal specialists to diagnose and classify mental disorders, providing concise and explicit criteria.The Mental Measurements Yearbook (MMY) is a comprehensive guide to over 2,000 testing instruments in the areas of psychology, education, business, and leadership. Entries include publisher, test purpose, price, edited reviews, and purchase information, if available. It also contains additional information on reliability (getting the same results each time), validity (testing appropriate things), norming data, and scoring and reporting services. Foreign language versions of MMY are also available.The MMY database is best used for exploration of tests and survey instruments. If you are researching tests for a course assignment, such as this one, the MMY is an excellent research tool.Note: You may review the document Accessing the DSM-5 and the Mental Measurement Yearbook (given in the resources) to understand how to access these resources in the Capella library.
For the assignment, create a 9â€“12-slide PowerPoint presentation for a group of trainee mental health professionals and legal representatives. In your presentation, explain three different measures that might be used to determine an appropriate diagnosis for a juvenile offender. The possible diagnoses are:
- Oppositional defiance.
- Conduct disorder.
You may see overlap in the measures you examine but be sure your rationale addresses why a particular measure supports your choice for the specific disorder.
- Access the DSM-5 and find the criteria for each one of the disorders.
- Access the MMY and find a measure that you would use for each of the disorders.
- Include the following for each measure in your presentation:
- A brief description of the disorder (based on DSM-5 but in your own words).
- A description of the measure (based on the MMY but in your own words). Include primary audience, purpose, how the measure is administered, what it measures, and what its strengths and limitations are.
- A rationale for your choice.
Be sure to use one slide to succinctly deliver each of the three main points. Put your notes or explanatory and expanded information for each of the main points using one of the following options:
- On the following slide. (Do not use the Notes section because Turnitin cannot evaluate this section.) Important: These slides do not count toward the required 9â€“12 slides.
- In a separate Word document. Label each set of notes in the Word document with the number and title of the slide to which the notes refer. Important: Be sure to submit this document also to the assignment area.
Be sure you review the Mental Measures for Juvenile Offenders Scoring Guide to ensure that you have met all the criteria for this assignment.
Your assignment should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length of presentation: 9â€“12 slides, not including the title slide, the references slide, or the notes slides.
- References: A minimum of three references.
You are required to submit your assignment to Turnitin. Once you review your results and make any needed changes, submit your assignment for grading. Keep your matching text to less than 25 percent, and provide in-text citations on your slides for the sources, and a reference slide at the end of the presentation.Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.